Monday, January 22, 2007

Thomas and Bell Brasher



A coworker at the auction recently visited a cemetery in eastern Oregon and left this picture on my desk.

I thought some of you family history buffs might be interested in seeing it?

3 comments:

ang said...

I can't make out the 1st names and dates on the stone? Can you tell from the picture you have?

benny said...

If you click on any of the pictures in posts, it will take you to the full-size picture. That's just the thumbnail.

Larry Brasher said...

He is Thomas Robert Brasher. HIs wife's name was Bell or Belle. He does not appear to be directly related to us, although there is a possibility of a link.

I checked him out on ancestry.com and found him on the 1910 census in Union, Oregon with his wife Bell and daughter Clarice. Also checked familysearch.org and found that his temple work has been done.

He was born in Iowa and his parents are listed on different censuses as being born in Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois.

He came to Union, Oregon apparently before 1880. ON that census he is listed as the head of household with several other men. His occupation is listed as a miner.

Couldn't find him in The Brazier/Brasher Saga. The 1850 census shows a Thomas R. Brasher in Iowa who was born in Kentucky. He has a 19 year old som, Thomas R. Brasher, who was born in Wisconsin and could be the father of the Union City Thomas R.

Our Brashers were in Kentucky a little later than the elder Thomas R. would have been born, but the censuses often list erroneous birth places, and there are a lot of Thomases in our line around that time. I'll save the info and perhaps do a little more research to see if I can establish a connection.