You see before you my first attempt at homemade yogurt. Sister Bagley at the temple shared a start with me. I played around on the internet (DedeMed & Afghan culture guy) and others. This is what I came up with:Bring milk (any kind, I used fat free) to a boil, over medium heat, stirring with a rubber scraper
Remove from the heat
Cool until you can hold your finger in the milk comfortably (I poured the milk back and forth in two pots to cool it down quicker)--this takes a while
Add the starter--at least 1 Tablespoon, I used it all about 1/4 cup (probably not a good idea because if it didn't work you wouldn't have a start)--but any unsweetened, natural yogurt with live cultures will work
Wrap the lid with a towel (to absorb condensation)
Put in the microwave (draft free location) over night--10 to 12 hours
Remove the lid--yogurt!
Refrigerate
In front of the picture you will see a jar of sweetened fruit yogurt
2 cups yogurt
2 T agave (or other sweetener)
a little vanilla
1 cup frozen berries (from our garden)
This yogurt, unsweetened can be used like sour cream or mayonaise in most recipes
Try these two variations for dipping sauces:
Yogurt, finely chopped cucumber, dill and mint
Yogurt, cilatro, cucumber, celery, onion , diced green chilis- chopped fine
Lots of possibilities. We will be eating the sweetened version mixed with granola.
The internet varied from sterilizing everything, temperature gauges, to just dump it all together. The above made the most sense to me. Any yellow liquid on top in the morning is a good thing, just stir it in. See demons on Utube
2 comments:
Save some for me to try!
How was it?
I think Shar has a few recipes, but of course, it's to sell a yogurt making machine. Is it like a greek yogurt?
Post a Comment