Shepherds’ Fields
Several years ago, Dad and I went to Israel with Daniel Rona. We toured the countryside and concluded the trip with Jerusalem. One the way into the city, we stopped at shepherds’ fields. The guide gave his speech, we read some scripture and then just sat. I used my camera to scan the hillside. It was not a rolling prairie type field. It was hills, limestone type, with lots of ledges and some steepness. The ground was terraced and still being farmed a little. You would have to use a donkey or your back to do the work as there were not roads or paths wide enough for tractors. I watched a man with a donkey, doing some work. I thought about the nativity. There was a feeling that you really didn’t want to leave.
The guide invited us back to the bus. He seemed a little anxious, then as we were heading up the hillside, a sheep came into view, then a goat. Pretty soon along with his animals a young Sheppard appeared. They headed to a pen near where we had been sitting (the place we were sitting was actually an old garbage dump). I saw the guide pay the young man for the “arrival”. It was contrived, but it was still a nice experience to actually see the sheep there.
That evening, we had a cultural program planned. We could either go into Jerusalem for a night of folk dancing and songs or go the District Conference at the BYU Center in Jerusalem. We opted for the adult session of Conference.
That was a good decision. As we set in the beautiful chapel, with the windows overlooking Jerusalem, the evening turned from light to dark and we watch the lights come up in the old city. The evening program was turned over to Michael Balim, who sat at the grand piano and sang and bore his testimony in word and song. It was really wonderful. The first piece he did was the Holy City: Jerusalem, Jerusalem.; With a real backdrop.
As the program progressed, he talked about shepherds fields. He said; “when you go there you have the feeling that you just don’t want to leave.” I was surprised because that it exactly how I had felt that very day. Then he said; you know why you feel that way? Because you’ve been there before. Where do you think you were the night the Savior of the World was born? Who do you think the heavenly chorus was?
It was an interesting perspective, but I’ve never forgotten it. He is our Savior. We would have known that it was time. Of course we would have been allowed to witness it.
"God loved us so he sent his son." Of this your mother testifies. I love you all. Merry Christmas.
4 comments:
I expect that I was a silent observer. They probably wouldn't have let me be in the heavenly choir. Ayee ookhnyem probably wasn't on the program.
All humor aside it is a memory that has stayed with me as well.
Thank you, that was lovely to read and imagine.
Thank you for that Grandma! I've been here less than a week and I've already had so many amazing experiences that I'll never forget. And yes, the chapel overlooking the city is beautiful!!
Thank you for that Grandma! I've been here less than a week and I've already had so many amazing experiences that I'll never forget. And yes, the chapel overlooking the city is beautiful!!
Post a Comment