Saturday, October 6, 2007

Happy conference

Good morning!

We have the most incredible vistas here. We’re situated at the center of several small mountain ranges, but we can see for miles. When the monsoons come in, you can see the clouds forming in the east and watch as they get closer and closer. You can look to the east and see the rain and look to the west and see the sun. The rain storms are beautiful. Thursday, Amanda and I were watching a storm. It started raining in our area, but the sun was still streaming in around us. It touched the rain turning it into drops of gold. Golden light reflected and illuminated every inch of space around us. The gold lined each cloud, and we watched as it turned from gold and pink, to orange and purple as the sun set. It was beautiful. And of course, with every storm there are rainbows. We see them everywhere, usually far enough away to see most of the arc.

I was waiting in traffic last week and saw one of these rainbows spreading across the mountains. It was fat and shallow, but the colors were brilliant. It reminded me of another time I was sitting and thinking about rainbows. It was several years ago at conference; the first time I was at the conference center. I was thinking about the rainbow as the symbol of the promise that God made to Noah, that never again would He flood the earth with water and destroy man. Just then, the prophet walked into the room. As I watched him enter, the light was shining down on him so brightly that he stood out from all those around him. The spirit testified to me that never again would the world be flooded by darkness; that just as the rainbow was a sign between God and Noah, the prophet was a sign for us of God’s love for his children today.

How grateful I am for prophets past and present. That symbol of God’s love for His children and the knowledge that He will always reach out to us in order to draw us closer to Him and bridge the gap that separates us. I know God has always called prophets to give direction to His children on earth, to give guidance to families showing us what we need to do and change in our lives so that we can be closer to Him. (Oh how we need that in the world today with its shifting values and understanding of truth!) I know that when we heed what prophets teach, we draw closer to God and in turn, our lives our happier. Happier, because every prophet, of every day and age, has testified and continues to testify of Jesus Christ and His atonement. That He is the Savior of the world, of every people, of every era. That only through Him can we be saved-reunited with our Father in Heaven and with our families. That by following Christ’s example we will become better people; better husbands, fathers, wives, mothers, better children.

I can’t wait for conference to start! It makes me even happier to know that so many of my family and friends will be watching conference all over the world! What channel is it being broadcast on in Antelope-or is everyone going to the stake center? I know, like me, you’ll also be eagerly awaiting the printed copies of conference due out next month. I hope and pray you are all well.

Have a great week-end!

angie

No comments: